Thursday, November 10, 2016

Sit Beside My Feet Tonight

In the days, months, years since losing Evan, I have sought solace through music. Not just playing flute, and re-learning a little piano, but live music. I majored in music in college, so I went to plenty of concerts (they were required!) Mostly "Classical" music, but a bit of other stuff, too. Maybe it's because I bought Justin Guitar Hero 3 after Evan died that I rekindled my interested in Rock and Alternative music. I discovered the band Muse when struggling through the video game version of Knights of Cydonia. I remember thinking when I first saw it, "What the heck is Cydonia?" I put it on, and loved it. Then I looked it up on Youtube, and watched the wacky video. And I never looked back.

Before we decided to get rid of cable, we had the concert channel, Palladia. We sat watching music festivals from here and over seas. It really touched a nerve. One band that Justin already liked was Flogging Molly. I think they had their Live at the Greek Theater concert on. I watched it. I liked the music, but the singer ending words with -ah kind of got on my nerves. I wasn't sold. Justin has his own thing (goofy, campy music), and I have mine (dark, brooding music.) And that's ok.

Well, our music tastes get kind of mixed up sometimes when it comes to downloading music to the mp3 player. I remember finally getting music on my mini, and I decided, "Hey, I'm going to do a playlist for my next 5K!" Of course, I waited until 10 minutes before the race to get it sorted. I quickly clicked on good songs to keep me moving. I accidentally clicked on some lullaby by Flogging Molly. I thought, "Oh man, I'm not going to want to hear a lullaby when I'm running!" But I'd waited too late to make changes. It was time to go! I don't really remember what I listened to that day, or even how the race went. I'm not fast, so finishing is always a good thing. I do remember getting to the last part of the race, with only a tenth or two to go, and "Drunken Lullabies" by Flogging Molly came on. It's not anything like a lullaby with it's punk like speed and rhythms. It was awesome, and I loved it! It was the perfect song to get me across that finish line. I remember telling Justin when I was done, "Flogging Molly is going to always be on my running playlist!" We've seen Muse and Flogging Molly live several times. As great as cranking up the tunes is in the car, there's nothing like seeing the band playing them in person! I remember liking one of Flogging Molly's songs a wee bit more than the others. It's called, "If I Ever Leave this World Alive." I remember seeing the band for the first time, thinking, "Oh, I really hope they play it!" We rocked through their set, then the first of the encore. Nope. Then I hear the opening notes and know that this is it! I know now that they end every concert with this song! It's not just my favorite, apparently. I'm not sure of the story behind the song. I've heard it's about a friend of the band that was sick or died. I'll learn it eventually. When I listen to it, I feel like it's Evan telling me not to worry, he's always there for me, and I'll be alright.

Here are the lyrics:

If I ever leave this world alive
I'll thank for all the things you did in my life
If I ever leave this world alive
I'll come back down and sit beside your
feet tonight
Wherever I am you'll always be
More than just a memory
If I ever leave this world alive

If I ever leave this world alive
I'll take on all the sadness
That I left behind
If I ever leave this world alive
The madness that you feel will soon subside
So in a word don't shed a tear
I'll be here when it all gets weird
If I ever leave this world alive

So when in doubt just call my name
Just before you go insane
If I ever leave this world
Hey I may never leave this world
But if I ever leave this world alive

She says I'm okay; I'm alright,
Though you have gone from my life
You said that it would,
Now everything should be all right

She says I'm okay; I'm alright,
Though you have gone from my life
You said that it would,
Now everything should be all right
Yeah should be alright

1 comment:

F Moseley said...

Sweet memory of a sweet little boy.