Monday, November 3, 2014

Twenty Four Days of Memories

I've been thinking about that gratitude challenge that people do every year on Facebook. The one where you say something you're thankful for each day in November until Thanksgiving Day. Some people do the whole month. I even did the challenge a couple of years ago when Evan's death anniversary (November 24th) ended up being on Thanksgiving Day. It was hard. I don't really like this time of year all that much now. I mean, I like Autumn and the changing colors, the cooler weather, pumpkins, and all that. I just don't like that it's basically a countdown to another year without my son. I try not to think of it that way, but alas, it can't be helped. Anyhow, this year I decided instead of doing a month of gratitude, I'm going to have twenty four days of memories of Evan. They may be little snippets, but I'm going to go for it. Also, I always appreciate memories of those who knew him, so chime in in the comments section, if you like. As today is already November 3rd, I have some catching up to do.



Back in the day we actually made our own pizza. Justin toyed with different combinations of herbs and spices to try to get a nice tasting dough. He'd add toppings, bake it, and boom! Pizza! Evan was a good helper, and an even better eater. He was curious about what his daddy was doing. He observed Justin and said that he was "makin' the dough!" He'd gladly polish off any olives and red peppers (which Evan called "poppers!") while watching the process. Sometimes Justin let Evan in on the dough makin' process. He'd push and pull on the dough, eat his poppers, and then wait along with the rest of us for the pizza to be done.


3 comments:

Grandma said...

I remember taking him to a church night supper. We walked into the kitchen, he squatted down, looked at the big mixer, and shouted:" It's a dough maker." Fun, smart little guy.

Sarah Foster said...

I share your feelings for this time of year. It used to have so much joy - now it is just blah. I pray that you and I both will be able to celebrate fall again.

Pam said...

Thank you, Sarah.

Thanks for your memory, Mom!