Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Grief Doesn't Define You...

I read (or listened to, actually) the book "The Fault in Our Stars" earlier this summer. It's a tragic love story about teens with cancer. I decided to listen to it after a few friends raved about it. I don't typically read things that I know will tug on my heartstrings. I fall apart too easily, and don't really feel like my fiction should be depressing. I guess knowing what it was about going in helped me enjoy it more than those difficult "surprises" that some authors throw in (you know, when a character dies and the reader is totally unprepared?) 

Anyway, there was some really good stuff in that book. A quote that I thought was a good one is, "Grief doesn't define you...it reveals you." I thought about how grief has impacted my life. Sometimes it really feels like I Am Grief. A walking, talking example of a grieving parent. When I talked to my counselor (about 2-3 years after Evan's death) about how I was having a tough time, she told me to look back and see how far I've come, instead of focusing so much on how much more I have to go. 

So, having read this quote, I wonder to myself, what has grief revealed about me. I guess I'm still figuring that out. 

What has grief revealed about you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think grief reveals that we love, respect and miss the one we have lost. I know that is true in my life.