Sunday, June 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day!

I'm actually participating in a Bloom Day! I can't remember the last time I did this (because I'm not a "real" garden blogger, I suppose.)

The weather in my area has been pretty typical. A tad warmer than average, and a tad drier. Hopefully, we'll start getting a little more rain. We are currently experiencing a deluge, so there's hope!



With the mostly average conditions, we've had a pretty nice showing of flowers this season. The daylilies are putting on a beautiful show!


The peachy colored daylilies with the ruby throat are called Wineberry Candy. I bought a bunch of these from one of my favorite local nurseries the summer after Evan died. It was the end of the season, and I'm guessing some of the pots were mis-marked, because...


These were also marked Hemerocallis "Wineberry Candy." The blooms are typically several inches taller, and clearly, the flowers are completely different! I actually like them better than the Wineberries. I've been thinking about moving them back to Evan's Garden, because his favorite color was red. 



The Coneflowers are starting to flower now. This is Echinacea purpurea "Kim's Mophead." It's a favorite with the bees and butterflies.


Here's a photo of one side of Evan's Garden.


I remember purchasing this daylily from a nursery that closed last year, but unfortunately, I don't know what it's called. She should be called, Glorious, though!


I'm really hoping this turns out to be Hemerocallis "Big Bird." I moved it from Evan's old garden to the new one last year. It's placed next to that Glorious red daylily. If they bloom together...wow! It will be pretty special!


I purchased a new Echinacea "Evan Saul" Coneflower this year. This newer variety seems to be short lived in this area. Too bad. They're pretty and have a nice scent.


I think the tag is next to this daylily, but I failed to look at it today (trying to get away from mosquitoes!) It seems like it's got Angel in its name. It's also in Evan's Garden.


Hydrangea aborescens "Annabelle" and a Hosta bloom together.


I pull up the Black and Blue Salvia Guaranitica every year, but they come back. I don't mind so much, because the hummingbirds love them!


My mom gave me this Lavender Bee Balm a year or so ago. It's a shorter (less than 2 feet), and less spready version. The height is great, but I do find that it's still pretty spready. The bees have been all over it. The flowers are pretty spectacular, so I think I can live with a bit of a spread!


My little Meyer Lemon tree my mom gave me for my birthday has a couple of tiny lemons! I'm very excited!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Beautiful.