Saturday, April 19, 2014

Ahhhh...the Beach!

 My sister and her husband made the big move from the Northeastern US to the Cayman Islands late last year. When they invited us for a visit, it was hard to say no. So...we didn't!

Since they were nice enough to let us crash at their place, we decided to get the direct flight (cha-ching!)


Staying with family sometimes means awkward morning hours, and shared bathrooms. Not at this posh place! Look at the view from their balcony! Lovely!


Everyday they took us to the beach. Mostly to do some snorkeling. We checked out the Kittiwake wreck as part of a big group. I'm a confident swimmer, but the choppy water and the (gulp) 60 foot depth had me a bit freaked out. Next time I'll wear the life vest for a little added comfort level. I did wear it at the next site, a corral reef at only 10 feet deep. I really enjoyed seeing so many fish!




We sat on the balcony in the evenings and watched the moon rise. My sister, who has always loved astronomy, showed me Jupiter and Mars! I was very excited to share these with Duncan (he's taken an interest (to put it mildly) in space!) when we got home.


Crystal clear blue waters. The ocean was a bit rough when we were there, actually. My sister said it's usually fairly calm. A woman on the flight back (who lived in the Caymans for a few years) said some of the places she visited that weekend were feet higher than usual! It was beautiful to watch the waves crashing into the shore, but did make swimming a bit of a struggle.


This lizard kept his eye on us at the beach. 

I misplaced my camera for a few days, so I don't have a lot of photos, unfortunately. 



There have been several events where I was taking photos, and I wasn't in any of them! So, to prove that I actually was there, here's a selfie!

No comments: