Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Modern conveniences

Today I'm thankful for all the things in the modern home that make life a little bit easier and comfortable. I'm glad I have a room (actually 2.5) in my home that is for using the bathroom. With a handy sink for cleanup! It's nice not to have to trip out of the house on a blustery, cold night like tonight with an old phonebook in hand to use an outdoor potty.

I'm thankful that I don't have to wash all of our clothes by hand. The scrubbing boards are kinda neat and make a cool zip zip musical sound, but I bet my hands would be pretty rough if I had to scrub dirty laundry on it all day.

I'm thankful that we have a dishwasher. I have joked that I'll be taking the 4th load of laundry down (and back up!) the two flights of stairs, and look over at the dishwasher with a, "I hate washing dishes" comment. I don't have to climb stairs to do it, it usually only takes a few minutes, but I guess the endless (boring) saga that is washing dishes is just one of those tasks that I find abhorrent. Thankfully, I don't have to hand wash all of my dishes. Then I really would hate it!

Vacuum cleaners are great for two reasons: they're good at cleaning up the floors (much better than a broom), and they scare the kids away, so I get a little peace.

It's been one of those days when it started off warm and got colder throughout the day. I am very thankful for our central heating tonight. And the central air is oh so nice in summer.

No comments: