Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Good Read

I'm a reader. I always have a book going. If I finish something I have to start another book right away, or it just feels...weird. I enjoy finding a good book and really getting into it. I enjoy finding a good series even more! So then the story just keeps going. And the characters develop into something more like friends than just something written on a page.

Sometimes the best books (or series) come from recommendations from friends or family. I found Terry Pratchett's Discworld series through my sister. Some recommendations miss the mark, of course. "Oh you thought I'd like a romance novel? I see." Before starting a family, I worked at the public library. It was great helping people find books they needed for research or for pleasure. They shared their favorites with me, just as I shared with them. The suggestion that I read the Marcus Didius Falco series (by Lindsey Davis) came from a library customer. I read a few and thoroughly enjoyed them. I don't think I ever read them in order, so I was kind of messed up, story wise. After leaving the library to have Evan, I still read a lot, but some of those recommendations fell by the wayside. I continued with Fantasy and Sci-Fi, and more recently, P.G. Wodehouse and his wonderful Jeeves and Wooster books. Just recently my mom brought over a couple of Marcus Didius Falco books she'd found at the thrift store. I thought, "well, I don't remember much about these anymore, but I'll give them a shot." I started "Saturnalia," and have had a hard time putting it down! I'm upset with myself for letting this series get away from me! What a wonderful writer Ms. Davis is! I'll be digging in the next title soon. But for now I'm thankful for excellent books and that reminder to look at past favorites.

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

I didn't realize I'd introduced you to Pratchett!

Pam said...

Really? Yep. It's all your fault!