Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Color in the Memorial Garden?

 
Azaleas
 
I know when I've ordered the flowers in memory of Evan for a Sunday morning service at church, that some people think white is the most appropriate color for a memorial.

 
Fothergilla 'Mount Airy' bloomed for the first time this year!
 
Sometimes I put requests in about the colors I would like to see used in the display. Sometimes, I just let the professionals make the decisions. The last time I let them choose? They chose white. All white.

 
Baptisia alba
 
I didn't take the white ones home. The Music Minister asked me later if I'd like to have them, and I said no, I didn't like the white. Why do they do all white, I asked. He said he always thought it was for purity.

 
Deutzia gracilis, 'Chardonnay Pearls'/Duncan
 
That makes sense, I suppose. I suppose some people want to do their memorial gardens in all white. For purity, maybe. Or maybe because white stands out well against the green foliage and looks luminescent at night.
 
But my little boy, although pure, was not an "all white" kind of kid. His favorite color was red. We knew this from early on. He always chose the one (shirt, shorts, plate, ball, you name it) that was red. Always. Evan's short life was full of color. He made sure that our lives were colorful, too. So, I think it's only right that his memorial garden be colorful.

 
Columbine caerulea Swan pink-yellow
 
While those white flowered plants are in Evan's New Garden, there's color everywhere!

 
Iris 'Duncan's Smiling Eyes'

 
Unknown trade Iris

 
Stylophorum diphyllum 'Celandine Poppy'
 
I'm glad I chose a colorful garden to remember my son. Aren't you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wonderful way to remember little boy.

Mom said...

Beautiful garden with beautiful sentiment. Love You.