Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Stroll through Evan's New Garden!

 
It's gotten to the part of the summer when I just start to get lazy. You know, the part when summer begins and then it continues till, I don't know, September! I'm from the South, so you'd think I'd be accustomed to the heat and humidity. And maybe I am, but that doesn't mean I like it! I took these photos a week or more ago. They are all from Evan's new garden. The flower in the picture above is Stokesia laevis, commonly called Stoke's Aster. They are native to this area. In some years the foliage gets a little droopy, because of low humidity, or drought. Not this year! We've have humidity and enough rain to make everything lush and beautiful!

 
Another moisture lover, Astilbe, also tends to suffer in the Southern heat. This year they are taking it in stride (probably because it just hasn't been all that hot. Just average temperatures. I'm not complaining!)

 
My mom gave me this little purple Bee Balm last year. It has already doubled its size. I have my eye on it, because I'm wary of spreaders. Thus far, I've not had any powdery mildew issues, and I love the low height. It's approximately 12" tall. I think this must be "Pardon My Purple." I love the traditional red of Bee Balm (Monarda didyma), but that stuff spreads like crazy and was 3-4 feet tall! And the whole powdery mildew thing. So, this is a nice compromise.

 
I picked up a couple of little Hydrangeas at church one Easter. Two plants in honor of my kiddies. I went out of town without watering them. I called my husband to bring them in (they were still potted and small), to avoid the heat wave that was predicted. I came home and they looked pitiful. Like they hadn't been watered or something. Ahem. Well, they've done very nicely since they've been put in the ground.

 
The pathway in Evan's new garden. It leads to...

 
An arbor with this gorgeous little double Clematis! I have no clue what it's called, but I love it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!