Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Evan's New Garden!

I decided earlier this year that I would move Evan's Garden to what was formerly known as the Butterfly/Hummingbird Garden. That garden is right next to the house. There's no worry of flooding and major weed issues. It's also a garden that Evan and I enjoyed together. It just made sense to move it!
 
 
 
I chose to put in some African Marigolds this year for some summer color. I have a few tomatoes and pepper plants scattered around, and I hear that marigolds are good at keeping the pests away. These little poofy pom poms always remind me of Evan. His last summer with us he went shopping for plants with me. When I asked him which plants he liked, he pointed again and again at the big yellow flowers.
 
 

 
My parents and I did some plant shopping yesterday, and this was one of my new finds. A lovely Clematis with double blooms. I have no clue what it's called, because I got it from the place we call Crazy Eddie's (as in, "Everything Must Go!" type prices.) I have one on each side of my arbor in Evan's Garden.

 
One of two Knockout Roses in Evan's Garden. They look spectacular this year. Probably due to the wet weather.

 
I planted my "Evan Matthew" Dahlia there at the base of the bird. I thought I could tie the plant to the bird for support. The pretty little orange bloom there to the left belongs to an Echinacea purpurea "Sundown," also called "Evan Saul." I also have two plants with Duncan in the common name, a Mikayla Miranda Clematis, and Dahlia "Pam Howden." I had a Daylily "Justin Brent," but I don't know if it's still in there. I may need to replace it.

 
The last hurrah of Clematis "Duchess of Edinburgh" (I think!) She's lovely. I just read that they are supposed to be fragrant! I'll have to go have a sniff tomorrow.

 
And, here are some animal plants to go with the animal theme. Hardy Geraniums are commonly called Cranesbills. The foliage below the Clematis in the previous picture is Bergenia, known commonly as Pigsqueak.

 
Aruncus is called Goatsbeard.

 
A little vignette of plants around Evan's little garden marker. The purple is Plectranthus "Mona Lavender." I'm hoping this annual will attract some butterflies and hummingbirds. There's also English (I think!) Lavender, which smells heavenly, another little Marigold, a Knockout Rose and a Daylily "Big Bird." Can't wait for Big Bird to bloom! I moved him over from the old Evan's Garden.



Here's a picture of what I can see as I sit at the computer. I took this before adding the new plants. I'm very pleased. I think I made the right decision!

No comments: