Sunday, March 10, 2013

Toot Sweet

I have played the flute for almost 30(!) years! I still need to practice to stay in shape and be prepared for any upcoming performances. Unfortunately, that's not very often. I do get asked to play for church. When I don't have a "gig," I like to play because it's fun and therapeutic. I'm working on some pieces now for flute trio with a couple of gals from church. The kids hear (and see) me play, so it's not an unusual occurrence. When I practice in the dining room, the kids seem to always get involved in a game of chase. They come tearing around the corners, through the doorway, pass me, and through to the kitchen, round the rest of the house, and back again. There's not a lot of space between the dining room table and the little side table where I stand. They crash by, bumping into me and giggling madly. I remind them to take it elsewhere, but the dining room seems to always come back onto their chase circuit.
 
Last night I was in the computer room. It's a bigger space, so if The Chase was on, I'd have plenty of room, even if it did get noisy. I was working on some fun stuff, just to play a bit. I wasn't working on anything particular. Just enjoying some good music. Miranda came in to see what was going on. I guess her partner in crime was unavailable. Instead of chasing Duncan around, she decided to do laps around me. She circled around me as I played, and she sang or talked or just made sounds. In fact, she may have been skipping. 
 
 
 
I tried to not let the disturbance disturb me. It wasn't work, after all. And the Ring Around the Flute Playing Mommy had happened before. She reminded me of an almost two year old Evan. When I put my flute together and started to make music, he came into the room and would march around me, singing at top voice. I think he liked it. You see in the picture he's going for my stand? Yep, Miranda does that, too. 
 
 
 
Evan took this picture of me just a few months before he died. He was still circling me while I played, but this time he was armed with Daddy's camera.
 
I've talked about how a particular piece of music can stir emotion or memories. Who knew that a little marching person could do the same!
 

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Did he ever play the recorder with you? Looks like he's carrying one in the pic is why I ask!