Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Smooth Operator



Looks like he's up to something, doesn't it?
 
 
Duncan is a pretty easy kid. Sure, when he was younger, he got into...well, everything. But he has matured quite a bit in the last year or so. I'm not saying that if I asked him to do his math homework, he'd be pleased about it. Homework, he says, is "boring" or "lame" (sometimes pronounced "blame" haha!) But, in general, he really puts the sunshine in my day. Perhaps that's because he knows how to work his mommy. All little kids are manipulative. When they are babies they figure out that crying will bring Mommy and Mommy gives good snuggles. They are expert little guilt trippers! Now that Duncan is older and the tears don't always work, he's changed his game. If Duncan wants something he doesn't cry. He walks over to me, gives me a hug and kiss, and says, "Mommy, I love you." I'm like putty in his little hands. He's also figured out how to be mean, but in a nice way. "Mommy, go away," he'll say if my comments about homework ruffle his feathers. But then, "I love you, Mommy." Kids are not only manipulative, they are observant. When they watch and see what works, they'll do it again. Miranda is starting to pick up some of Duncan's skills. Unfortunately, however, she still whips out her fists when things aren't going her way. She needs to sit at the feet of The Master of Smooth and learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's a sharp one.