Saturday, July 14, 2012

You Say Po-Tah-To, I Also Say Po-Tah-To...

No wait!  Po-tay-to!  I say Po-tay-to!

I knew that having children would have a profound impact on my life.  I knew my schedule would be dramatically altered.  I learned that my house would never be quite so clean as before.  There have been many unexpected lessons, however.  Something I didn't expect to change was my own pronunciation to words.  Sure, I figured I'd do the baby talk with my little one, and talk about doggies and kitty cats.  The books I read suggested always using the correct pronunciation to words (saying "water" instead of "wa-wa," for instance), so that the child will always hear the correct word.  They also suggested that to the child he was already saying water, and would wonder why you were being weird and calling it wa-wa.  Silly grownup.  But I say that it's easier said than done.  Once I began to have little mini conversations with Evan, I found myself asking him, "Are you playing with your dacuum cleaner?"  Then, I'd have to correct myself, "Vacuum...vacuum cleaner?!"  Luckily, when Evan started calling his brother Dooncan (in the true Scottish fashion), I was able to refrain. 

I obviously didn't learn my lesson with Evan, however, because I've been making pronunciation booboos left and right with Duncan and Miranda.  A few months back Miranda used the "b" sound in unusual places.  I remember listening to her count.  There was a substitution of "b" for "v."  Fibe and seben.  Of course, bebenteen was my personal fave.  If she wanted to watch a show, she called it a "mobie" (like movie.)  Yes, I have caught myself asking her what mobie she'd like to watch.  And it's not just pronunciation with Miranda.  She changes a thing into something entirely different.  In Miranda's world Harry Potter is not the famous young wizard's name.  His name is Kevin.  Yep.  Don't ask, because I just don't know.

With Duncan's speech delay we were just happy with him saying anything.  He didn't ever seem to mind being a little behind, because he was (and is) a happy little boy.  When something wasn't cool when Duncan was little, he said, "Tot Tool!"  I still say it, because it's cute.  One at dinner Duncan was trying to ask for something special.  Justin and I looked at each other, unable to understand what had sounded like "Farmer's Magazine."  In a stroke of genius, Justin figured out that it was Parmesan cheese.  More recently, he's been introduced to the wonderful world of Legos, which has led to new (and different!) words to Duncan's vocabulary.  I heard him talking about a character while he was playing Batman.  I'm pretty sure he was saying something about evil Dr. Toothpaste.  I thought, "Dang!  I don't need Lego talking bad about toothpaste!  I need these kids to brush!"  Later when I saw the minifig, I noticed the face was unusual.  One side is flesh tone, the other is purple.  I thought, "Ahhh!  Not Toothpaste, but Two Face!"  I said, "Duncan, is this guy's name Two Face?"  "It's TOOTHPASTE!"  Umm...ok.

So, if I'm trying to have a conversation with you and ask if maybe Duncan's Toothpaste got sucked up by the dacuum on the bebenteenth, please know that I'm not crazy.  Just a little confused.

No comments: