Monday, April 23, 2012

A Sampling from the Woodland Gardens


I'm rather behind.  I took all of these pictures almost a month ago.  Many of these plants are no longer in bloom, so I'll just have to enjoy the blooms through my pictures.  The above is a cluster (?) of blooms on the Deutzia gracilis "Chardonnay Pearls," also called Duncan.  I think in a little more sun the foliage is more of a chartreuse, but it's mostly a light green in my shady garden.  In spite of the shade, it flowered its little heart out!  Another spectacular year for "Duncan."  It's a rather compact deciduous shrub of about 2-3' high, and 2-3' in width in my Zone 7B garden.


The lovely Southern garden staple is the Camellia.  These evergreen shrubs are generally slow growers.  I've had this Camellia japonica "White Empress" for a few years, and it's still no more than 3' tall.  Apparently one day she'll be 10' tall!  And possibly as wide!



I love my little native Celandine Poppies (Stylophorum diphyllum)!  They bloomed more than a month ago, but I thought the little seed pods were so cool.  It has bright yellow happy flowers that really pop out of the woodland garden and adorn this small perennial with oak like leaves.  One of my personal favorites!



These little Bell Flowers are woodland natives.  They're not really showy, but more what I would call sweet.  I don't know the botanical name, unfortunately.  Seems like any plant with a bell shaped flower is called a bell flower!


I may have had a bloom on my Trillium.  Once.  At least the foliage is attractive!  I wonder what the trick is for Trilliums.


My little Virgina Bluebell (Mertensia virginica) was a little disappointing this year.  I mean, look at it.  It's like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree!  The other one I had didn't even come back.  I guess the heat/drought from last summer did it in.  It's a shame, because they're pretty little plants.



I've never had a big show from my Viburnum plicatum tomentosum "Summer Snowflake."  Just a few blooms here and there.  It's okay, because I appreciate the ones I have.  The one I have is no more than 5' tall, and a few feet wide.  It sounds like they can grown 10' wide!  And 6-8' tall.  Maybe she'll bloom more then!



And, of course, there are ferns cropping up all over the place.  Big ferns, little ferns.  Native ferns, non-native ferns.  And they are all lovely.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Sessile-leaf bellwort (Uvularia sessilifolia)