Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Gardening - Day 15

A gorgeous daylily!

I enjoyed gardening (although I wasn't very good at it) before we lost Evan.  

 Echinacea purpurea "Purple Cone Flower"


After we lost Evan gardening turned into a sort of therapy for me.



Deutzia gracilis "Duncan"

I created a garden in memory of Evan.  It went from a little garden with interesting plant names to an animal garden after suffering flooding of epic proportions in 2009.



A pretty white Hydrangea I picked up in honor of all of my children at Easter last year.

Dahlia "Evan Matthew"

In that first year after Evan's death, I read a comment on a gardening forum about how one could honor a deceased loved one by planting something with the cultivar name of that loved one.  I started with Echinacea "Sundown" which is also called "Evan Saul."  Then I also purchased Dahlia "Evan Matthew."


Hydrangea serrata "Miranda"

I decided I had to represent the other kiddies in the garden, so I also found Deutzia gracilis "Chardonnay Pearls" also called "Duncan."  And I lucked on a beared Iris called "Duncan's Smiling Eyes."  And last, but not least I found Hydrangea serrata "Miranda."  Gardening hasn't just been therapy (and good exercise), it's also been fun.  And a great way to get closer to my mom and sister.  So, today I am thankful for having been bitten by the gardening bug.

No comments: