Friday, November 18, 2011

Duncan - Day 17





 Duncan was a needy baby.  I called him my rocket baby, because the whole labor and delivery process was fast.  We barely made it to the hospital in time.  We got him home just fine, but he was a little bit cranky, which meant I was a little bit cranky, too.  He wasn't a good sleeper.  He fussed a lot.  He needed to be held a lot.  It was tough on Evan.  He had to share his mommy with this really cranky, loud newcomer.  We made it through the first few months somehow.  I was so thankful for Evan.  He kept me sane.  So sweet and patient, even when I was not.  He loved being a big brother and looked forward to playing with Duncan as he got more and more active.  When Duncan cried, Evan would pat him on the head and say, "It's okay, Duncan."  When his little brother started rolling over, and rocking back and forth on his hands and knees, Evan was on the sidelines cheering him on.  "Roll over, Duncan!"  Then when Duncan was six months old, we lost Evan.  And Duncan was cranky again.  He looked for his big brother.



 He was small, but I think he could tell things weren't right.  And in that moment I was thankful for my needy baby, because I really needed him.  I just held him close and loved him.  And soon his little smiles got bigger and his hugs got more snuggly.  It's like he knew what we needed, and just gave and gave.  And he still gives us so much love.  He's such a little sweetheart.  Always (well, almost always) willing to give hugs and kisses.  Easy to smile.  A joy to be around.  I'm so thankful for my sweet, sweet Duncan.  



No comments: