Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Early July Blooms



I love any plant (well, except aggressive weeds) that can put up with our long, hot (and oftentimes dry) summers. This annual Vinca has been up to the challenge of over a month of 90 degree temps and not enough rain. They've bloomed non-stop, except for the ones that don't get quite enough sunshine. A great plant for full sun in the Southeast.



Another trooper this year is Echinacea. This is Echinacea purpurea "Kim's Mophead Coneflower". They have been a workhorse this year. They're starting to look a little rangy, mostly because I've been slow about deadheading. And I have had a little mildew on the leaves in late summer. But that can be managed with a little milk and water spray. Fantastic plant for sun and drought.




And the old standby, Purple Coneflower (looks pink to me!) A native to the eastern US. A garden favorite. It's a clumping perennial that's not fussy and not a thug. And gorgeous. This and the Kim's Mophead have been covered in bees and butterflies this year.



Another garden favorite is Black Eyed Susan. This variety is "Early Bird Gold." It's a cultivar of Rudbeckia fulgida that blooms earlier and longer than other varieties. For me it's been a clumper, and not a seed spreader. I have not found it to be thuggish at all (unlike the R. fulgida "Goldsturm" in my garden.)





We call this Evan's Tree, because we planted it in honor of Evan's birth in 2004. It was just a tiny thing then, only about 18" high. But it had a nice shape. Now, this Crape Myrtle is a good seven or eight feet! I believe it's Lagerstroemia indica x faueri "Acoma." I didn't prune it at all this year (and I usually only snip a couple of inches off when I do prune.) Look at those flowers! Just beautiful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the shape of Evan's Tree. I can't remember ever seeing a crepe myrtle in that shape. People usually make them skinny on the bottom. I like yours, it's beautiful.

-Amy