Monday, May 30, 2011

Evan's Garden


Yellow African Marigolds

Evan loved the happy, poofy yellow flowers on the African Marigold.

Evan's Garden is a special combination of plants and shrubs that I've picked out over the last four and a half years since Evan's death. At first I just wanted to have "fun" plants in his garden. I worked it and re-worked it, we had drought and flood, and I finally decided on an animal theme. Turns out, there are a lot of cool plants with animal names (as the common name) that can handle seasonal flooding. The garden is filling in nicely now.


Orthosiphon aristatus "Cat's Whiskers", Dryopteris ludoviciana Southern Wood Fern and Itea "Little Henry"


Veronica spicata "Red Fox"


Saururus cernuus "Lizard's Tail" or Water Dragon!

I'll have to keep an eye on the Lizard's Tail. I think it's easily doubled in size since last year. As attractive as it is, I'll need to keep the spreading in check.


Auruncus dioicus "Kneiffii"? "Goat's beard"


Ligularia dentata Leopard Plant

Not sure which variety of Liguaria this is. It will have lovely yellow daisy like flowers in summer.


Myosotis Forget Me Not

Forget Me Nots...ever appropriate in a memorial garden.


Polemonium reptans "Stairway to Heaven" Jacob's Ladder

2 comments:

Mom said...

It's looking great! He would love it all. Mom

Trish said...

Pam,

What a wonderful way to memorialize Evan! I love your idea of your theme; animals. Every child loves animals. I'm sure Evan thinks that is so cool!

Much Love,
Trish