Friday, December 24, 2010

Care for a Serenade?



You never really know what a kid's gonna do at his or her Christmas program. Will she sing? Will he turn his back to the crowd? Will all the kids run around screaming for Mommy? I admit, I had slightly higher expectations for the little concert this year than last year. This year I had two participating. Twice as much fun, right? And if Miranda ran off during the program, technically, it's not my problem. (Isn't that bad?!) At home Miranda had been serenading us with her own version of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." She sang with gusto (read: yelled) and with her very own words! I thought to myself, "Wow! She's going to be one of those kids. The ones that yell the songs during the program." Woohoo! An improvement over the non-participation of Duncan.

But then the day of the program came. And she did a lot of this:





And this:



(Just sitting there looking pretty.)




If Duncan actually participated in a musical program, I think it would mean that the planets had aligned and there would be world peace or something. He is open and honest about how much he dislikes music at school. The fact that he wore his costume made me happy.

He mostly yawned and made this face:





Although, I could tell that every once in a while he did utter a word or two. And he actually secretly did a few of the little hand movements.




When they handed out bells to ring during "Jingle Bells," Duncan examined them thoroughly.

And then the show was over and we left. Barely a note sung. I shrugged my shoulders. No matter. But in this last week since pre-school has been out for the Christmas holiday, both kids are running around the house singing Christmas songs! I hear a lot of "Jingle, jingle jollies" and "Baby boy, baby boy" from both! I ask them why didn't they sing like this during the school program. No answer. A special serenade just for Mommy? So, if you do care for a serenade from one of my kids...don't hold your breath!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They may not have song, but they sure were cute.

Anonymous said...

That should have been sung.

Trish said...

Pam,

Thanks for sharing such a special moment in time. My Evan's Christmas program before he got sick was so darn cute. I honestly thought that he would buck up and do what he was supposed to do. Then he began to scan the crowd looking for anyone he knew. Then it happened....his eyes met mine. I waved at him and he began screaming, "mommy, mommy, mommy!" Then he ran off stage and jumped into my arms. My daughter was video taping the entire episode, but was laughing so hard she didn't catch the most important part. Oh well, what are you going to do? That is one of the most precious memories I have of Evan.

Merry Christmas.

Love,
Trish