Friday, November 12, 2010

Thankful Much?

This is the time of year when many people begin reflecting on thankfulness, as Thanksgiving is just around the corner. I've noticed a few of my friends on Facebook are posting something they are thankful for in their daily status updates. And even a recent suggestion by my pastor was: For each complaint you have, list ten things that make you grateful. It's supposed to change your way of thinking to be more positive. Sounds like a great idea, although challenging!

But I have to admit that when the calendar rolls over to November each year, I don't feel all that thankful. I think about four years ago when my son, Evan, died the day after Thanksgiving. It's been almost four years, and it still hurts.

I may not sit around thinking about all the things in my life that make me thankful, but I do feel blessed.



Duncan was only six months old when Evan died. He was little and needed his Mommy and Daddy, but I don't think he realized how much we needed him. His little smiles and kisses were so welcome. He was our life raft. We clung to Duncan to stay afloat. I was blessed then with a smiley little kissy boy.



And now I'm blessed with...well, a smiley, kissy boy. He comes to tell me about a recent success, just, I believe, to get a hug from his Mommy. He invented something called a "Hug-Kiss," that is a combined hug and kiss. If we're sitting on different sofas, he comes over to sit by me. And not a couple of feet away, but right next to me. He's snuggly and loving, and most importantly, happy.





Even though she's gettin' on my last nerve lately, because she's naughty as the day is long, Miranda is also a blessing. Right now I'm her favorite person in the whole world, and that feels pretty special. It's so wonderful to be loved!



And, of course, Evan was a blessing. A good big brother and friend. He was sweet and curious, but sure knew how to push my buttons. But, like his little brother, Evan warmed my heart with his hugs and kisses.

I've had three beautiful, sweet, happy children. That is a blessing, indeed!

No comments: