Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Curse of the Grammar Police

My son is now enrolled in Speech Therapy through the public school system in our county. Twice a week we drive over to an elementary school for a half hour lesson. When I visited the school for a meeting with his therapists (he's also getting Occupational Therapy), I was told that this school received the School of Excellence Award. And, sure enough, as I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed the "2007 School of Excellence" sign. I thought to myself, "Excellent!" And chuckled. Because I'm like that. We walked into the building to meet with the teacher. She wasn't there yet, so we waited. I didn't have to sign in, because I was just dropping Duncan off. My eyes moved from the sign in sheet to a paper nearby. It was for parents of elementary age students. It was an announcement about purchasing car decals to help the school. It went something like this:

Recieve a awesome decal...

And I didn't even make it to the end of the sentence. My eyes probably glazed over a little, while the chant "I before E, except after C" ran through my head. School of excellence, indeed! When I came back to get Duncan, I corrected "a" with "an." I left "recieve." It bugged me, though. I wondered how this elementary couple of grammatical boo boos made it onto a paper that would be seen by anyone approaching the front desk. Do people care anymore about correct grammar? Did they ever? I know we tend to let things slide in conversation and informal writing (ahem, like blogs!) But I thought a school would get it right. What's next? Misspelling "school" in the crosswalk? Oh wait.

Or perhaps the problem is mine. I had some incredible English teachers in middle and high school. They really hammered in all those rules. So now the grammar radar is always on. The internal editor doesn't take a holiday. I'm not a jerk about it. When Duncan's Speech Therapist said, "Fridays will just be him and I," I cringed on the inside, but said nothing. Because I know that I'm certainly not perfect! When I carried Duncan back on Friday for Speech, the announcement had been corrected. I felt the urge to do a little maniacal laughing. Mwahahahaha! Round one goes to the Grammar Police!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one! Or should I say, "your knot tha ownly won!"

Here is one of my favorite grammar posts...

- Beth

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html