Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sweet, Sweet Melody!

Justin and I had a few days to ourselves over the weekend. My parents were keeping the kids (after an excellent trip to see Thomas the Tank Engine!) I had hoped to get a few things done, but I wasn't feeling so smooth. So mostly, I just sat around moping and feeling crappy. Justin, on the other hand, installed a "new" CD player in my car. Duncan tried playing quarters instead of CDs in the old one, and ruined the player. When Justin took the old one out, it jingled! The "new" player is new to the car, but it isn't exactly new. No, no, it's not used. It's a Christmas present from Christmas 2008. So, it's been sitting in a box for a year and a half. Once Justin got going on the installation, he came in and said, "I think you may be cross with me." "Oh?" I said, "Why?" He replied, "Because this looks like it's going to take all of 20 minutes." Oh well, at least it's done now...right? And now I'm not at the mercy of whatever is on the radio. If I want to listen to something different...easy peasy. I haven't taken any CDs out to the car, yet. I had several old ones in there. Mostly Christmas music. But there were a few early music CDs (The Harmonious Blacksmith- Harpsichord music played by Trevor Pinnock and Harmonices Musice Odhecaton A performed by Les Flamboyants), Telemann, and Ralph's World.

The kids and I were in the car for a trip to the grocery store yesterday. Duncan noticed the new player right away. He probably mentioned solar power and satellites, as those are, apparently, what keeps things in his world powered. Oh yeah, and space pipes. I put the Les Flamboyants disc in. It starts with one of my favorite pieces of music in the world: De tous biens plaine. And pretty soon I started to get some comments from the peanut gallery in the back seat. He wanted "wock and woll" music. I don't happen to have any rock CDs in the car just yet (just give me time!).

So I put the Ralph's World CD in. This was a disc we picked up for Evan after seeing a performance on the Today Show. Non-cheesy music for kids. Cool. He loved it. We loved it. It's pretty scratched up from use and handling, but mostly still plays. We haven't listened to it since shortly after we lost Evan. I know how certain pieces of music can make me feel joyous or melancholy. We all have musical memories. The songs from childhood always have a special place, and usually conjure up happy memories. But there are those songs that touch us so deeply that they evoke an emotional reaction. A song that makes you cry every time. I thought playing Ralph's World may be tough. The first song went ok, but then one of Evan's favorites came on, and I just fell apart. Of course, Duncan was in back listening to the music attentively. I think I may have fast forwarded on to the next one, because he began to protest, "Listen to the monkeys in the trees!" We went shopping and listened some more on the way home. This time there were no tears. And, thankfully, there were plenty of hugs and kisses when we got home.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Thanks for sharing this - I so understand this. My son was a club DJ and I have several cds of his mixes. I have one I especially like and I often listen to it while walking. Sometimes it makes me sad but mostly I feel like he is walking with me. I haven't done that in quite a while - now I think I'll walk with him tomorrow.
Thanks,Pam1

Pam said...

Aww...thanks for sharing your story, too, Sandy. That's a wonderful way to think of it...as a walk with your son. I think I'll try to think of Evan's music like that, too. Thank you!