Thursday, August 5, 2010

Feeling a Tad Discouraged

It's been a long, hot, dry summer. And here we are in August. I've always felt like August here in the Southeast really knows what the dog days really are. It's too hot to work, things look like they are done. Done with the heat, humidity, and ready to go dormant any ol' time. This gardening season started off so promising. Evan's Garden was re-done and looking amazing. It's mostly hanging in there, but there are a few things (Chocolate Joe Pye Weed, for instance) that may not make it. I've lost other things along the way. It's so discouraging to put so much effort, time, and heart into a project, and then Mother Nature doesn't bring the rain. Sure, I've done some watering. I lug the hose and sprinkler around. I also tote my watering cans up and down the hill with water from the rain barrel (which is A/C drainage mostly, not rain!) But still things are wilty. Will they make it? I'll just have to wait and see. I truly hope this is not a sign of things to come. I don't want to have desert for a back yard! hopefully, this fall will bring more rain, but not flooding like last year! Where is the happy medium?!

No comments: