Wednesday, July 7, 2010

New Stuff!



Evan's Garden in all of its summer glory! Well, it's mostly nice foliage right now, but there are a few blooms here and there. The Ligularia mentioned previously and now Toad lily (Tricyrtis.) Although, I was unable to get a good picture of the orchid like bloom. I will definitely try again, because it's beautiful!



Over the 4th of July holiday weekend we worked on indoor and outdoor projects. You can probably see in the first picture there's a lot more gravel in that drainage ditch! Justin used up the rest and we'll have to get more, but it's finally looking more like what we want. I also filled in the crevices of the stone patio with sand and pea gravel. I think it looks great!



I finally planted all the native ferns I got at the spring plant trade. I also transplanted my Stokesia over to the other side of the creek. It is going through some shock, but hopefully with some TLC it will be fine.



My new little garden bed! On Friday I put some pine straw down here and there, but there was still a large blank space. The soil was the same color as the pine straw, so instead of feeling some accomplishment from the straw installation, I was discouraged, because everything was BROWN! And, frankly, boring. Justin told me that he wouldn't be hauling any more rock through there, so I could work something in if I wanted. I found all of these plants at the local Lowe's. The 2 gallon daylilies "Daring Deception" were $4! And the 6 inch Heucheras "Miracle" were $2! A bargain. The Dryopteris ludoviciana were not on sale, but having so much good luck with them already, I knew I'd be happy.




The area below the new bed is sloped gently towards the patio area. I decided to place my little dwarf Mondo grasses there. I've had 18 small plants since probably April, so I'm pleased that they are actually still alive! And hopefully now that they're in the ground, they'll do great. I'm hoping that they'll spread together and eventually make a small grassy area.




The patio with the Mondo and new bed in the background.



Another look at the new stuff. (Can you tell I'm excited?!)



I dug up my potatoes recently. We got a nice little haul. Not bad for a first time. I guess we'll probably just eat them up now and not bother with trying to store any, since we didn't get a huge haul.



Onions, garlic, and carrots...oh my! And some Roma tomatoes. I was very pleased with my onions. I will definitely try to cure some for later in the summer/early fall. We had hash brown potatoes with onions last night with veg from the garden. They were really good! Oh...someone needs to share their carrot secrets with me, because I only got a handful of small ones. Tasty, tho.

So, it's been a busy time, but I'm very happy with how things are looking so far. I told Justin yesterday if he ever decides that we should get rid of the weedy grass to the left of our patio/garden are, I'm up for the challenge!

2 comments:

Renee (Furygirl) said...

Lovely! Looks like you've been working hard. And I can't believe you have potatoes. I'd love to try that sometime.

If you need some more shade plants, you're welcome to come dig in my yard this fall. I usually am trying to thin out my sunny areas, but now the shady parts are out of control. I have a lot of hosta, lenten rose and ferns to share.

Sherrie said...

The patio looks awesome! I wish we were closer, I'd love to unload some shade plants on you!