Friday, July 16, 2010

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day



One of my few bell peppers. Waiting for it to turn red...



I have several Roma tomatoes and finally made some salsa fresca tonight. Yum!



Black eyed Susan as pretty as ever. Someone at a plant trade told me this is probably Rudbeckia hirta, and not R. fulgida. It has fuzzy leaves. It's spready for me. And another of my love/hate plants. Love it right now!



Knockout Rose, "Sunny" is starting to put on a mini show again. I moved them from Evan's Garden after the flood. They seem to be happier in their sunny, drier spot. "Sunny" also has a pleasant scent.



Million Bells (Calibrachoa) is considered an annual, but can overwinter in my area (zone 7b/8 depending on which map you follow.) Unfortunately, one of the three Million Bells I purchased this spring has succumbed to the hot, dry weather.



Melampodium has a terrible name. But it is a beautiful and tough annual. I'd read some really positive comments on a gardening forum about Melampodium...it's tough, drought tolerant, and blooms like crazy. I had a few small ones last year that didn't do so great, but this year is a different story. After looking a little peaky at first, they have done very well. They looked peaky because of an early hot spell before they were watered in. But they've tolerated hotter, drier spells since.



One of the few Daylilies still hanging on. The others are starting to look a little rangy. Browning foliage. I'll do a little cleanup to get them purty again soon.



This is Rudbeckia fulgida "Early Bird Gold." I know I've raved about this plant already. But it's like the Energizer Bunny of Black Eyed Susans! Just blooming like crazy. The R. fulgida, unlike the R. hirta discussed earlier, has smooth leaves. It also seems like a spreader, but so far, easily maintained. Love it!



Echinacea purpurea, "Kim's Mop Head" is still blooming like crazy. I haven't pruned it or pinched back any spent blooms. I may do that to see if I will get some new flowers later. It worked last year.



The old fashioned favorite, Purple Coneflower. There's not much to say besides, "It's just beautiful!"

No comments: