Sunday, June 6, 2010

What's Blooming



Hydrangea serrata "Miranda" Lovin' the blue flowers! They are having less wilting this year than last. Hopefully, that trend will continue. One plant is more robust looking than the other. And hopefully, she'll perk up after this season.



I picked up this pink Campanula at a plant trade. This is my first experience with Campanula. And, so far, I'm pleased. I have it in a spot that gets only a little direct sun, mostly filtered sunlight. And it seems happy. It's always nice to pick up a new plant...especially if it's not fussy.



Hydrangea aborescens "Annabelle" is always a knockout. It's just astounding how huge those blooms get! That particular plant suffered a little beating during a recent storm, but seems somewhat recovered. These are also native to the US! I haven't had any wilting from the Annabelles this year now that they are established. I do have some from my dwarf Oakleaf Hydrangea. It may have suffered some damage in the September flooding. Hopefully, it will be back to normal sooner than later.



Rudbeckia fulgida "Early Bird Gold" This photo was taken on May 31. This variety of Black Eyed Susan is supposed to have an extended bloom period. And from my experience last year (and so far this year), I can say it's true! They bloom like crazy, and don't seem to suffer from some of the late summer ugly foliage that I get with my Rudbeckia hirtas. There is some spreading, but as of now after having the plants for a year, they're not going nuts.



The Daylilies, on the other hand, are going nuts! They are blooming all over the place and looking magnificent! This is Hemerocallis "Paper Butterfly." The flower is huge on this compact 2 foot plant. It spreads nicely, but not aggressively. I can honestly say that I get the whole Daylily obsession thing.

No comments: