Friday, June 11, 2010

Stoked



The Stokes' Aster (Stokesia laevis) is blooming now in my Butterfly Garden. The Crocosmia is trying to take over, but the Stokesia is putting up a good fight. (Note to self: clear out some Crocosmia.) I've been thinking about moving the Stokesia along with some of my Rudbeckia hirta (I've been calling it fulgida, but was told recently it's hirta?! I'm so confused!) over to an area on the other side of the creek. I read somewhere that Stokes' Aster can take a little moisture. It's a native plant to parts of the Southeast, including wetlands. So, I'm going to give it a shot. I was lamenting that this pretty little yellow variety called "Mary Gregory" hadn't come back. I thought the blue and yellow would be so pretty together, and then...



There it was! Just hiding amongst the stupid Crocosmia. (Are you noting at least the hate part of the love-hate relationship I have with that plant?) So, yeah, I was pretty stoked. And then I thought, "Stoked. Stokes' Aster." Snicker snicker. Sigh. Yes, I'm that lame.



I was thinking of planting the Stokesia and Rudebeckia together, although they may not bloom at the same time. If they did it would be really fabulous. I can't say that I haven't thought about just getting rid of that Rudbeckia (I mean, it's spreading into the lawn! What does that?! Notice another love-hate relationship going on here?)



Of course, moving all of these things means a largish space to fill in the Butterfly Garden. Oh no! I guess that means new plants! **evil grin**

No comments: