Sunday, June 6, 2010

She's No Angel


Miranda's "Snow Angel" that she made from an entire bag of flour dumped on the floor today.

I remember attending the meet and greet for Duncan's preschool class last fall. It was supposed to be a fun opportunity for us to meet the teachers and other kids (and their parents) in Duncan's class. I was at least slightly distracted, because Duncan and Miranda both were wrapped around my legs, fussing, climbing, or some other behavior. After asking me a question (that I don't remember. see above), the teacher started talking to another parent. She also had a little boy. In fact, she said, she had another boy at home..."so, you know, with two boys I have my hands full." What is that about? I was a mother of two boys only briefly. Just six months. And sure, my hands were full. But I can attest to the fact that although little girls may be made of sugar and spice and everything nice, that doesn't mean they're always little angels. It turns out that every preschool party we attended, Miranda was not just a handful along with her brother, she was a handful and a half by herself!



Miranda has gone above (literally!) and beyond here lately. It seems like she had a schedule of things that she wanted to achieve (all very naughty or, at least, stressful for me!), and she was checking them off, one by one. She's always been a runner, so I always have to keep an eye on her when we're outside. But recently she's figured out some things indoors. She started pulling off the doorknob covers. It was like the world was her oyster! Now, she could go in Mommy and Daddy's room and jump on the bed whenever she liked! And she did. She also checked out the bathrooms (and found out how wet toilets can be!) and she explored the guestroom.

She also recently started climbing out of her crib. The one time Evan climbed out, it was to get his Bear Bear. He landed with a crash. It scared him (and me!) so badly, that he never tried it again. When Duncan started climbing out, he also landed with a crash. We put him back in the crib, hoping that it was a one time deal. Nope. He raced to get out, and came crashing down again. Miranda? She's the ninja. She is able to climb out so quickly and quietly, that sometimes she can beat me to the door! We put the toddler bed in there for her. She's explored it, but, interestingly enough, she climbs back in the crib to go to sleep!

And, like all kids, Miranda knows how to make a mess.



And the one thing that I almost forgot...Miranda gave up her nap! So, she was getting into all kinds of trouble, and then not napping. With all the new excitement, she was so exhausted by the end of the day, that she was quite a bear come bedtime. I probably forgot about this, because I seem to have been able to get her to nap again in this last week or two. But it's coming. Lucky me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is an angel. A 2 year old angel.

Anonymous said...

She is soooooo cute.

Anonymous said...

Oh Pam, this made me laugh so much;-) And it just goes to show that pretty little girls like to get up to just as much mischeif as cute boys!!
Jude x

Amy said...

Once again I am gratified by the spectacular mess one of your kids has made. Just think of the wonderful sensory experience she got playing with that flour. "They say" that's really good for kids, developmentally, don't they?