Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Springtime in the Garden!

Finally...lots of gardening activity going on at my place! I planted my spring vegetable garden two and a half weeks ago or so. And I have seedlings coming in! Loads of onions and garlic, lotsa peas, teeny weeny broccoli, and my potatoes look like they're actually breaking through, too! I'm so excited! This is my first spring vegetable garden. I am trying to keep an eye on nighttime temperatures and the calendar. hopefully, I'll have a nice little harvest in a couple of months.

In other areas of the garden, daffodils are blooming and perennials are peaking out. Duncan's tree, which is a Royal Star Magnolia, looks magnificent this year! Big, beautiful white blooms. And there are perennials coming in that I thought may have been lost in the flood. Many plants don't emerge until later, so I won't know for another month or more about them. My Woodland garden, on the other hand, seems to have lost the fight to flooding, digging, excess dirt and trampling. A Shuttleworth's ginger, some Iris cristata, and my Lobelias seem to still be there. But not much else. It's disappointing, but I'll be able to replant once the drainage system is installed. We're almost done digging the drainage ditches. We need to get those done (hopefully soon!), and do the rock and pipe thing and maybe then we will be able to plant. Ugh! It feels like it's taking forever!

No comments: