Thursday, December 10, 2009
Thinking about giving up
With all the rain we've had in the past few months, the back 40 is still wet. We still have pools of standing water here and there. When we dig down into the soil, the water wells up in the hole. All the work I wanted to do since the big flood in September has, for the most part, been put on hold. But now I'm starting to wonder if I should alter my plans. I'm sure not all years will be as wet as what we've had lately. Drought is part of our recent past, afterall. But I'm beginning to think I should just embrace the whole idea that the back 40 is a flood plain, and put appropriate plants there. And here's the biggie...move Evan's garden. So really I'm thinking about giving up having Evan's garden in its current location. Not giving up entirely! I've been considering installing some more terraced beds on the slope-y part of the backyard, and maybe use one of those for Evan's garden. It's disappointing and exciting at the same time. I suppose I should wait it out and see how things go. But there are some plants that just can't abide having wet feet. And that area back there has been wet for months. I'm pretty confident I will lose some. Others are tough. It is a wait and see game, I guess. Just trying not to feel too discouraged about the state of my yard in the meantime.