Sunday, October 11, 2009

Can You Dig It?

Duncan did a little digging in the front yard (he was looking for treasure), while I put down the rest of the pine straw that I'd purchased before the flood washed the rest away. He wandered around to the back 40, and I followed. It's still quite muddy and puddly in places. Duncan wanted to explore the remains of his poor, broken playset. Justin pulled most of it out of the creek yesterday. He needed the chainsaw to break it up. The playground is dump bound, I'm afraid. But it certainly has been a subject of interest for Duncan since we watched it float away the night of the flood. While he explored, I decided to do some digging myself. I started moving silt and filling up the puddles...the low spots created by the raging flood waters. I decided to scrape around and see if the path by Evan's garden was still there. The stone path I built in July. I dug down a good 4-6" and found stone! I scraped until most of the stone was exposed, moving the excess silt/dirt/gravel over to the low spots. So, I'm happy the stones are still there. I'm going to have to dig them out, and build up that area. Maybe do better drainage this time! We're still thinking of putting a patio and some pathways back there. And we're thinking a new playground may be in order.

Of course, this all flies in the face of the decision I made earlier this week. I decided to embrace the fact that the back 40 is, for all intents and purposes, a flood plain. I decided that I would plant things that could handle periodic flooding and standing water. I figured I would leave Evan's garden as is, for the most part. I would plant "living" mulch--a groundcover like mazus, blue star creeper, or something that can deal with shade (or some sun) and moisture. And the grassy/weedy areas I planned to use a dwarf acorus. It's a relative to iris. It likes moisture, even boggy conditions. And in the places that are better drained maybe dwarf mondo grass. Of course, that's a couple of different shades of green for the grass. So, has this all fallen by the wayside? Probably not. I think we'll have plenty of space for the hardscaping and the new planties. And, as I seem to say often, it's going to be a lot of work.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I've been wondering about the stone walkway... glad something survived!