Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fireman Duncan

Duncan has been interested in firetrucks and firefighters for awhile. Every time a firetruck passes, we all get excited, point, and exclaim, "Firetruck!" For awhile there whenever Justin went out on the deck to grill, Duncan would run to the window to watch and say, "Fire Emergency!" I told Justin about this, and he said, "I hope it's not going to be an emergency!"



But I think Duncan's firefighter interest went to the next level when he started watching a show called "Fireman Sam." It's a children's show about a little Welsh town that has more than their fair share of fire emergencies. They seem to always be caused by the naughty boy, Norman, or the bumbling dad, Mike. When we're not watching the show, Duncan asks me to sing the song, "Sing Fireman Sam, Mommy!" And then, "faster, Mommy, faster!" It's especially fun when he tries to sing along. When Justin or I help him, Duncan says, "Thanks Fireman Sam Mommy (or Daddy)." He's even insisted on using the jaws of life when he gets "stuck" around the house.



I thought that it would be a good time to check out some firetrucks up close. I scheduled a visit to a local fire station, and Duncan and I took the tour. The firefighters showed a video about fire safety. Then we watched a firefighter suit up. They let the kids come up and touch the firefighter's helmet, gloves, mask, whatever, so the child won't be afraid in a real emergency. I think it's a really great idea.



Then they showed us the truck. There were more compartments than I could have imagined!



Duncan wasn't so sure about the firefighter in all that gear at first, but he warmed up. All in all it was a fun and educational visit.

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Oh man, that sounds like so much fun I bet they have childless folks sign up, too.