Saturday, September 26, 2009

Evan's Zoo Garden

I went through the garden taking pictures a few days before Garden Blogger's Bloom Day this month with the intention of posting the pics, well, on Garden Blogger's Bloom Day (the 15th of each month.) I posted some pictures of my not very tasty carrots instead. I took several, but I just noticed some of the cool animal plants that were in bloom at the time. So, I decided to post them all together.


Spider Lily Lycoris radiata

Spider Lily at its peak. This is one of my fall favorites!


Toad Lily

Toad lily flowers are small and very orchid-like. The plant has been a bit of a slow spreader, but not invasive. For me, they are best enjoyed up close.


Turtle Head, Chelone lyonii

Turtlehead is a wonderful native. It has lush, dark green foliage, and strange turtle head shaped flowers. They don't mind a bit of moisture.


"White Swan" Coneflower, Echinacea purpurea

Coneflowers have been showstoppers all summer. And my White Swans and Kim's mophead (also white) are still blooming.


"Cat's Whisker's" Orthosiphon aristatus

Cat's whiskers is an annual in this region. They have bloomed their little hearts out. And grown to an impressive size.

We were hit with a week of rain, and then devastating flooding earlier this week. Evan's Zoo Garden took quite a beating. All of these lovely plants were under what was basically a river for hours (thankfully not days!) But the raging current took its toll on my son's memorial garden.


Our backyard during the flooding.


Evan's garden

Everything is covered in silt and flattened and partially defoliated. I suspect with some TLC, everything will come back. I haven't done any work yet. I have felt a little defeated about the whole thing, honestly. And the bridge giving us access to the back 40 floated away. I can still get back there from the neighbor's yard, when I want to begin the cleanup process. It's pretty overwhelming. I have a "where do I go from here" sort of feeling. I have to say, however, that we were extremely fortunate not to have any flooding in the house, other than a small amount in the garage. And gardens can be re-planted. So, when all of the puddles dry up and I get that gardening itch again, I'll be back out there.

No comments: