Tuesday, August 4, 2009

More than One Kind of Knockout!


Evan's Tree aka Crepe myrtle

The rain has really perked things up around here. It's also made it really humid again. I guess that's one of the things about living in the South. It's Summer. It's Hot. Deal with it. And again I say the prayer, "Thank you, Lord, for the inventor of Central Air!" Even in the heat we have tons of blooms. I know there can be a lull in the Dog Days of Summer. Maybe we haven't gotten there yet, because it's beautiful out there! We planted that Crepe Myrtle when Evan was 6 months old in honor of his birth. It was less than 2 feet tall then. I think it is upwards of 6 feet now! And I'm loving the umbrella sort of shape. I think the ultimate height for this one is 12 feet tall. I'll try to remember the cultivar. One of these days.


Dahlia "Alpen Diamond"

I got Alpen Diamond as a freebie when I ordered several dahlia tubers from J&C Dahlias. I must have put it in the right spot, because it seems extremely happy. I never dig them up. Although, after three summers, I may have tubers to share by now.


Dahlia "Pam Howden"

I wrote a few weeks ago about how I didn't think my Pam Howden dahlia was going to come up. Well, I was wrong. This is also a dahlia from J&C Dahlias. I first saw the opening bud as I was wandering around the yard scratching my itchy arms after the pole beans decided to get fresh. I saw that peach color and said, "Oh my." And I have to say that she is stunning. I should bring her in and make a bouquet. I used to do that more often. I'd enjoy my flowers inside as well as out. But I haven't done it lately. Maybe it's a lack of a cutting tool. When I'm outside I'm usually with a little one, and don't like to carry around dangerous implements. I'll have to make a special trip.


Knockout Rose "Sunny"

My newest acquisition. I've been admiring other people's Knockout Roses for a long time. So consistent. Supposedly trouble free. And this year they came out with yellow. And what's more, it has a pleasant scent. None of the other knockouts are scented. I looked at some pretty ones at a local nursery, but they were about $10-15 more than I wanted to pay. Then I found several on sale at Lowe's. They weren't as big, but they still look nice. So, I bought two for myself and one for my mom and one for my sister in law. This picture is actually from my mom's plant, which is still in the pot. She forgot to take it. If she forgets again, it's going to end up in my yard. It's tempting to go back and see if I can find some more. I really need to find a place in my usual walk from the car to the front door, because the scent is really nice. And the flowers are sweet. I put my two in Evan's Garden. I know, it's supposed to be a Zoo Garden. But my little boy really did have a sunny disposition, and these beautiful flowers fit perfectly in his memorial garden.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the Pam Howden and the rose. Mom

Sherrie said...

Wow, you're making me fall in love with dahlias, they are so pretty!