Thursday, August 20, 2009

May you live in interesting times...

This week has been, ah...interesting. It's not fun being sick (well, for most people. Duncan doesn't seem to mind too much!), and it's certainly not fun hanging out with sickos. The stress over Miranda's feverish weekend blossomed into the stress of Justin's Monday interview (which went well.) Then I took Miranda to the pediatrician to get her ears checked. They wanted me to fill out new paperwork. I know I probably don't do it every time, but it sure feels like I do! And this time they had a new touch screen computer for me to use. So, imagine a frazzled, stressed out mom of two sick kids. She's trying to use a new machine to fill out the same information that's already on file, and corral the two kids back into the sick room (and not leave the building.) After the 45 minute wait, I was ready to throw some punches.

The next day I took the kids with me to drop off some stuff at a consignment sale. It was all ready to go (because I stayed up until 1:30am to get it done!). The drop off went fairly smoothly. I decided to go ahead and drop off several things at a store that sells stuff secondhand. I bought a few things while they calculated what they would pay me for my stuff. $9. I was disappointed, but went with it. Duncan pitched a fit on leaving, which is always fun. On the way home I started thinking about all the stuff the store had purchased from me. There were at least nine pieces of clothing. All in excellent condition, little wear (worn once or twice for a couple of the outfits.) So, I got $1 per item. I felt so cheated. It's such a hassle to get things ready and go all the way over there, that $9 just didn't seem worth it. So, I decided everything else will go to charity. At least, then I know someone who wants it will get it.

We may need to sell the house depending on where Justin gets a job, so naturally, the house is rebelling. There are some weird leaky things going on with the upstairs AC, which is leaving those awful brown stains on the ceiling. I'm wondering if the overflowing AC pan may be leading to the increased number of mosquitoes inside my house! I've killed 9 mosquitoes inside the house over the last few days.

Today I really tried to start the day with a smile and the, "We'll have a good one today, kids" attitude. But late afternoon came and I discovered that someone (probably a little boy that lives here) used something to cut three slices into one of my leather sofas. Later, I found a whole roll of scrapbooking adhesive unwound and wrapped around the dining room chairs. I had made an attempt to keep the roll out of reach (in the gated dining room), but Duncan climbs over the gate and explores. I keep thinking of a Ron Weasly quote from the Harry Potter series, "Why is everything I own rubbish?" In his case it's because his family is poor, and he gets everything second hand. I just have a little Tasmanian devil who lives here.

Here's hoping for a happy tomorrow!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or maybe you could have a yard sale.

Pam said...

Huh! yard sales are worse than consignment stores. At least around here they are. The last one we had, people were trying to talk me down on 50 cent items. And it's a big hassle.

Sherrie said...

Have a yard sale, but go out to eat and let mom and dad do the dirty dealing! Sorry your week's been so crappy I hope things go more smoothly from now on!

Anonymous said...

Mom and Dad, Hunh? You know how hard nosed we can be, do you?

Sherrie said...

Heh, partially that, partially because I think it's easier when it's not your stuff.

Betharoopie said...

I agree with the yard sales, Pam - not worth it. I wasted an entire day for about $20 and still had bunches left.

Now I bag everything and put it in those charity/clothes/shoes dumpster thingies.