Friday, July 10, 2009
You may remember this pile of stone. I purchased it to do a border around the kids' playground, but then changed my mind. I wanted a Path! A path beside Evan's memorial garden. So, on June 27 I started digging. I had read all sorts of books with directions on laying a stone path. I watched a video online. I felt like I had a pretty good grasp on the situation. So, I began digging. And the whole not raining more than two tenths of an inch for the previous few weeks didn't make it easy. The ground was hard.
But I managed to dig what Justin referred to as "The Canal." It was about 13 feet long, 3 feet wide, and I thought 6 inches deep. When I got the tape measure out, it was more like 12 inches! So, I had to put some dirt back! There was rain in the forcast for July 5, and I really didn't want a mud pit in the backyard, so I decided on July 4 to "get 'er done." We got the sand and some paver dust, and got to work.
And I think it looks pretty darn good. I used up most of my big stone, because I was trying to get rocks that were a good size to step on. I obviously didn't tamp down the sand enough (um...hardly at all!), because after the heavy rains we've had this week, the path is not quite flat.
To be honest, it wasn't flat in the beginning. It's just less so now. I'm hoping adding some pea gravel or more sand will help. Overall, I'm pleased.
The project is not complete. Besides the not being flat part, I encountered a tree root back near the woodland garden. I've been trying to decide if I should start the curve there, or cut the root. I've read that roots bigger than one inch should be left alone. This one is probably right about one inch. Now that we've had some rain, the ground should be soft enough that I can dig around to see what may be the best way to go.
We hope to do more paths and a stone patio. Big plans! And a lot of work!