Monday, July 13, 2009

July Blooms


Lilium lancifolium "Flore Pleno"/Double Tiger Lily

June showers didn't bring the July flowers (because it barely rained in June), but the flowers came anyway. I planted this Tiger Lily Bulb last fall in Evan's Zoo Garden, and waited. The foliage came up, and it's finally flowering. And boy was it worth the wait! What a spectacular bloom! The foliage suffered being stepped on or knocked over, so it's pretty horizontal, so I'm happy to have a bloom at all!


Echinacea purpurea "White Swan"

I have several White Swans in Evan's Garden. Here and everywhere in my yard the Coneflowers are having a great year. Such a classic beauty. I need to get out there and do some deadheading, and maybe I'll have blooms into Autumn.


Dahlia "Evan Matthew"

I'm very pleased my Evan Matthew Dahlia is up and blooming. It only grew to about 12" and never bloomed last year. I moved it, and hoped for the best, but didn't expect it to come up at all. Obviously, I have been rewarded! hopefully, it'll come back next year. This is one that I'll just have to wait and see.


Sunflower

I've been oooing and ahhing over the lovely sunflowers in my veggie garden. I have the one in the picture and a lovely small pale yellow kind. I sit at the breakfast table, and watch all the bees and birds, and insects checking them out. I was so proud of my contribution to the honeybee population, until...I got stung! Yesterday I went out to water something. I bent down because the heavy rains of last week have made the tops heavy. I brushed up against a bloom, and thought, "That sunflower has a poky cone." But then it really hurt. "Ow ow ow!" And maybe an expletive or two. I need to stake the blooms back up, so they're not leaning over the path. Don't want the kiddies to get stung!


Echinacea purpurea "Purple Coneflower"

And more Echinacea.

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

The dahlia is GORGEOUS, and look at that mondo spider!