Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Is it July Already?!

The furnace outside has been set to scorching (add in extra sticky for the humidity level), so we've been busy hanging around doing the lazy Summer thing inside. We've received a pitiful amount of rain in the last month, despite the announcement that the drought is over. Probably should have waited on that one, eh? I am pleased that we actually did have a good soaker today, however. I need to get myself a rain gauge to have an idea of how much we're getting.


Daylily "Justin Brent"

In my eagerness to fill my garden with family named plants (Evan, Duncan, Miranda for the kids), I found this beautiful Daylily called Justin Brent offered by Ellie's Daylilies. Just lovely! Justin is, of course, my hubby's name. Now, I need to get a Pam plant for me. I had some Pam Howden Dahlia's, but they never came up. So, I may try again. And then maybe I can move on to other family member's names. Fun!


Maters!

I've gotten a couple of red maters lately. There are dozens of fruits on the plant, and I was wondering when I would actually be able to eat any of them. Now! Yeah!


Sunflower

My first success of a flower from seed! Woohoo!


Rudbeckia "Early Bird Gold"

I just can't get over how great these Rudbeckias have done. I think I may get some more (or divide the ones I have) to put in Evan's Zoo Garden. Weeks and weeks of those wonderful bright yellow flowers. How perfect for a little boy's memorial garden.


Echinacea purpurea "Purple Coneflower"

And the always lovely and always reliable Coneflower. They are looking fabulous this year. They are considered to be drought tolerant, but they, like most plants, like the better rain conditions we've had this year.

Stay tuned for the next installment about how my "canal" is transformed.

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

It's been consistently cold and rainy here, and my tomatoes, which have been in the ground for MONTHS now, are still only 6-8 inches tall and have ZERO flowers. WAAAH! Not getting much of anything from the garden yet, I hope that changes soon.

Pam said...

Geesh. What a bummer. I've been pretty pleased with what's coming in in my little garden. If we're here next here, I will probably try to expand. :D

Sherrie said...

Oh, man, I wish I room to expand into... I'm soooo jealous! Nice and sunny today, with tiny garden salads for lunch. I have my first cucumber coming in, too!