Monday, June 8, 2009

June blooms

I took the kids to Grandma and Grandpa's for a few days last week, and I took pictures of what was in bloom before heading out.


Hydrangea quercifolia Oakleaf hydrangea "Sikes Dwarf"

I have two of these Oakleaf Hydrangeas, and only one was blooming. It's starting to fade now, but hopefully, I'll get some blooms off the other soon! The wetter weather has produced stunning blooms from the hydrangeas this year. I can't wait to share my pictures of my Annabelles!


Hemerocallis fulva "Ditch Daylily"

These beauties are called ditch dayliles or common dayliles. You do see them in ditches, as well as in the garden. And maybe there are fancy new varieties of daylilies that have ruffles and purple throats, etc. But I think the Ditch Daylily is stunning, particularly en masse. They look fantastic on the creek bank in our backyard, and they do the job of controlling erosion.


Echinacea purpurea "Kim's Mophead"

And here is my Kim's Mophead Echinacea that some people don't believe exists! I can't wait to see how she'll look when she gets to mature size.


Rudbeckia fulgida "Early Bird Gold"

And finally Early Bird Gold rudbeckia. This rudbecia was discovered in a field of the Goldsturm rudbeckia. At this nursery Early Bird began blooming earlier, and continued to bloom later. Supposedly it doesn't rely on the longer days for it to start blooming like other rudbeckias. And mine are blooming! And the Goldsturms I have aren't.

No comments: