Monday, June 15, 2009

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day

We're experiencing a heatwave here, and I'm more inclined to stay inside in the air conditioning than to go outside and do work in the yard. Although, I did get out there last Friday after purchasing some new plants while visiting my parents. I went back over to Crazy Eddie's and found a few Spider lilies (hymenocallis festalis) for Evan's garden. They looked horrible. But I decided to shell out the $1 per plant, and baby them. I also planted a Big Bird Daylily (same color yellow as Big Bird on Sesame Street! Thanks, Mom!), a pitcher plant (Sarracenia purpurea) , some annuals, a replacement Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis) for the one I killed, and a new Turtlehead (Chelone)! So, some really cool plants for Evan's Garden, and the Woodland Garden. I sprayed myself with bug spray, and got to work, telling my husband to check on me periodically. When I got back inside, I took a shower, and was really starting to feel weak. I think I really pushed my limits that day. Thankfully, after chugging some water, and getting some peanut butter crackers (thanks, Justin!), I was ok.

I didn't take any photos of my new stuff, but here's some of what's in bloom and of interest right now:


Dahlia "Alpen Diamond"

This Dahlia was a freebie when I purchased 3 "Evan Matthew" Dahlias from J&C Dahlias. Alpen Diamond has been a robust plant, with pretty pink blooms summer and into fall. I haven't staked her in the two years (going on three) I've had her, but I may this year.


Tomatoes!

I've been very excited about all the little tomatoes coming in. Until Duncan, aka Mini Godzilla plowed through the veggie garden the other day. He spotted a tomato, and said, "apple!" and dropped it to the ground.


Fallen tomato

Naturally, it was one of the biggest ones!


Black bean bushes

He also uprooted at least 2 black bean plants. I obviously need to get the boy a garden of his own to destroy, so maybe mine will be safe(r).


Echinacea purpurea "Kim's Mophead"

I've got blooms on almost all of my Coneflowers! What a great plant! So many colors to choose from now, and different heights. There's a Coneflower for everyone! My Echinacea purpurea "Evan Saul's" are flowering, as are my White Swans. I'll try to get some pictures of them soon. I wish I had a telephoto lens, so I wouldn't have to go out in the heat to get pics!


Rudbeckia fulgida "Early Bird Gold"

And these little Rudbeckias are really lighting up my front beds. When they arrived in the mail (from Santa Rosa Gardens), they were small and rootbound. I put them in the ground right away, and they've really taken off. I'm very pleased with how happy and healthy they look. My "regular" Black eyed Susans still haven't bloomed. They have buds, but "Early Bird Gold" is definitely living up to its name!

No comments: