Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cut Down and Puffed Up


Echinacea purpurea "Evan Saul" after being mowed down

Garden beds that lie too near the weeds, I mean, lawn, can sometimes fall victim to The Lawnmower. Unfortunately, the Shrub Island-turned-plants-with-my-kids'-names-Garden is not clearly marked, and my Evan Saul Coneflower was sheared. When I saw what was left of what had been a big, healthy plant, I almost cried. Not to mention the fact that this is one of the plants named with the same name as my son who died. It was a tough blow, but it is coming back.


Astilbe

I think I picked this Astilbe up at Crazy Eddie's Used plants last year. Maybe Mom remembers. I'm sure it was called something. Too bad I don't remember. They look beautiful, and they're blooming later than most Astilbes in this area (Zone 7b or 8. They've changed it a bit.)


Daylily "Paper Butterfly"

I suffered the disappointment of losing my "Teddy Bear" sunflowers in Evan's garden recently. They were tiny (about an inch), in spite of the fact that they had been in the ground for weeks and weeks. I think I may have inadvertently disturbed them when planting my new Bat Faced Cupheas. So, now I have a place in the very center of Evan's garden, the place for a showy plant, that is absolutely empty. I'm so disappointed and frustrated. I'm not sure what to put there.

I was considering dividing and moving these Paper Butterfly Daylilies there. They are big and beautiful. I had hoped for color for a longer period, though. There is a new yellow Knockout Rose. What do you think?

And as promised, Annabelles!


Hydrangea aborescens "Annabelle"

The Annabelle hydrangeas in my yard have been fantastic this year. I have no regrets about moving them out of Evan's Garden to the Shrub Island. They seem very happy there. I also have two more in the butterfly garden (one newbie as of this weekend!) Can you believe they are native hydrangeas?! I don't know if any other hydrangea has the puffed up balloon like flowers, which are a favorite with the kids. A hit for the whole family.

I had to get a shot of Annabelle's big blooms.


Me and Annabelle!

No comments: