Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My House is Kinda Dirty...

Because I'm spending all my time gardening! Yeah! I don't like having a dirty house, of course, but I figure I'll catch up soon enough. I've been digging up and dividing things for the plant swap on the 16th. The seeds that I sowed outside are all (or mostly) up and looking great. The only exception is the Bunny Tail grass. The little leaves that were up appear to have disappeared. So, I may just put something else there. I'm a little bummed about it. The sunflowers I sowed are looking great. I've got three kinds of beans coming in (including black beans!), carrots. hopefully everything will continue looking good and bear lots of food for us. I'm starting to feel like I should have prepared a bigger space. My mom tells me, "Four plants. That won't be enough." Well, where do you learn how many are enough? I'm also thinking about making a small bed over by the hedge that separates my yard from the neighbor's. This is where I had originally wanted the bigger bed, but I'm thinking a small bed would be great there. We'd have a grass path between it and the veggie garden down to the lower part of the yard.

I think I mentioned before that I found a picture online of a front yard garden that inspired me for my front yard garden. I have a traditional style house, and always tried to go for symmetrical beds, but my combination of plants or colors was always off. It doesn't help that the foundation shrubs I have are still pretty small (always buy big for your foundation plantings! Lesson learned!) I got my Rudbeckia fulgida "Early Bird Gold" in the mail. I planted them and the Echinacea purpurea "Kim's Mop Head" for summer color. And now I have purple Salvia splendens (annual salvia) in front, with melampodiom on the edges for some bright yellow. My color and plant selections are somewhat different from the original picture, but I'm hoping that my take on the other gardener's idea will look as good as his! Fingers crossed.

No comments: