Thursday, May 21, 2009

Just Plain Lazy

About posting, that is. I went to the Plant Swap, as promised. And it was as fun as usual. Plant chatter, different kinds of plants to share, and a touch of hysteria when the trade began. I bagged the following (through pre-trades and the general trade): Hibiscus coccineus, Turk's Cap Lily, lots and lots of daylilies, including "Pardon me," Penstemon smallii, Cleome, Penstemon "Husker's Red," False Blue Indigo, Spanish Lavender, Epimedium, Sensitive Fern, "Spider Lily," Alstroemeria, a buckeye for Evan's Garden, a small native Azalea and fern for mom, and maybe more. I've gotten most stuff planted, except the dayliles, hibiscus and Turk's cap. But I know where I want to put them. And today I have a crick in the neck, so I may not get to them. Although, I did some pruning...




I pruned the enormous azaleas at the end of the driveway. As I clipped I remembered the last time I pruned them. I was 9 months pregnant with my second son, Duncan. I had just been taken off bed rest, because the doctor said it was ok to go into labor at this point. So, imagine a very pregnant mom pruning enormous shrubs! With her 2 year old, Evan, running around gleefully. Duncan just turned 3 the other day, so it's been over three years since I pruned those plants. And they looked it. Now, not so much. I can't say they look perfect, but they are no longer enormous! Of course, I should preface this whole pruning paragraph with the story of the lost bypass pruners. I've been needing to prune back the azaleas and the unruly mailbox honeysuckle for weeks, but I couldn't find any of my 3 bypass pruners. After weeks of looking, I finally went and bought some more, only to find another pair within a few minutes of breaking in my new ones. Typical! Over the weekend I got out the big loppers and the landscaping pole saw, and took down some privet branches. It really opened up the yard! It's great how nice a yard can look without those stupid weeds reaching in every corner. Stoopid privets. Unfortunately for my new Cardinal flower, when Justin and I dragged the branches back to stack at the back of the property, it got flattened. Not sure it will recover. I'm totally bummed, because I just got it this year, and was so purdy!




My other project (besides plant trade stuff and pruning) is de-weeding the creek banks. This is actually a major project. There are a few layers of sediment that have accumulated (seems especially so, since the drought) over the rocks that the previous owners installed. I've been digging out weeds (and hostas!), and scraping off dirt down to the rock layer. And digging up and transplanting daylilies from further down the bank. The idea is to have daylilies along the entire (or, at least, most of) the bank. It's quite an undertaking. We'll see how it goes. I need to take some "after" pictures, now that you've seen the befores.

With the uncertainty of our current situation (hubs is getting laid off next month), we've talked a lot about fixes for inside and outside the house. I kind of suggested that I could just take on the outside, and would he care. Nope. He basically gave me free reign...within a budget, of course! It's kind of exciting. Although, I keep making the mistake of asking him what he thinks, and what he thinks usually involves putting in grass seed. I should remind him how much he hates to mow. I'm thinking a checkerboard pattern with paver squares, and groundcover squares for the area that's too wet for most things. I figure I might as well put something there that won't mind it, right? And the kids will love jumping from square to square. Shoot, I think I would love that, too! So, we'll see what actually takes place.

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

Ha, you knew you'd find an old pruner as soon as you used the new ones! Did you get the mini sweetflag you were telling me about? I saw a 3" variety online, and boy, I'd love to replace grass with something like that. Much nicer than grass and no mowing!

I moved some pale yellow irises to the front yard today(my back is KILLING me), it's totally packed but I think I may be all the way there with the "something always in bloom" plan. I've got stuff I've NEVER pruned, and you know how tiny my front yard is! I should get on that...

Pam said...

That's a good plan. I have something always in bloom a lot of the time, but it's too far apart for good companions. Still figuring things out.

I don't have the Acorus, yet. Still thinking about where it should go. I was hoping to get it locally, but I may save money getting it online, with all the driving i'm doing!