Saturday, April 4, 2009

What's up part 2

More plants are coming up each day. I'm pleased to say that my Hepatica and Bellwort (Uvularia perfoliata), and my Spigelia marilandica are all coming up in my woodland garden! These are all woodland natives. I'll try to get some pictures once they are all up more. However, Mother Nature is throwing a curve ball at us. They're currently calling for a couple nights of freezing temperatures. I have so many tender things with leaves now, not to mention the buds, and the fantastic flowers! Agh! It's so disheartening! It's not unheard of, of course. In fact, the last two years in my area, we've had late freezes. I didn't bother to cover stuff up either year, and then wished I had. There are so many plants up now that I really care about (things in Evan's Zoo Garden, and my Duncan Deutzia, my Duncan's Smiling Eyes Iris has a huge bud!), that I will definitely be pulling out the sheets and blankets this time.

In the meantime...it's beautiful this weekend. We spent most of the afternoon outside. I planted some daylilies my neighbor gave me (they're called "By Myself!") on either side of my veggie garden. I'm thinking about planting sunflowers in the back. I dug up a bunch of liriope. And my seedlings are so so.

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

It is nice to see stuff poking through after the long winter! It was gorgeous here today, too, so I sowed sugar snaps, spinach, carrots, kale, broccoli, and a type of parsley that's supposed to taste like celery. I need to throw some radish seeds where I put the carrots.