Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spring Smiles


Lonicera X heckrottii "Gold Flame"

Welcome Spring! We had a couple of brushes with freezing weather, but for the most part, everything is coming in and looking great. I have my "Gold Flame" honeysuckle merrily welcoming the mail ma'am, visitors, and bees! Although, it typically will have some powdery mildew as the weather gets more humid. Small price to pay for such a beauty.


Orthosiphon aristatus "Cat's Whiskers"

Mom and I just picked up the tropical "Cat's Whiskers" last week. What a great addition to Evan's Zoo Garden! I dug up the sickly gardenias, and put these in in their place. I looked Orthosiphon up on Dave's Garden, and there were nothing but rave reviews. My only fear is that I won't be able to find it again next year. However, from what I've read it's easy to propagate, so maybe I'll take a few cuttings before our first freeze in the fall.


Dahlia "Evan Matthew"

I was completely stoked to find that my Evan Matthew Dahlia is back! I didn't kill it. Hooray! I moved it from the butterfly garden to Evan's Zoo Garden back in the fall. I figured that I'd be replacing it. I'm hoping this year for what I didn't get from this Dahlia last year: blooms.


Deutzia gracilis "Chardonnay Pearls" or "Duncan"

I tried to get some closeup shots of the Duncan Deutzia with no luck. It's a great little plant. The chartreuse foliage really stands out in the more wooded garden, the bell shaped flowers are sweet (I haven't noticed a fragrance, unfortunately), and the size is good 2-3' tall and wide (at present). I decided to place my Miranda Hydrangeas and some more Evan Saul Coneflowers in the same bed. So that all of my children's named plants will be together.


Iris "Duncan's Smiling Eyes"

My first blooms from "Duncan's Smiling Eye's" Iris! Oh so lovely. And the name is such a perfect description of my happy, little Duncan!


Iris "Duncan's Smiling Eyes"

No comments: