Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Plant Shopping with LaLa

I've looked a little in the nursery sections of the big box stores lately, to see if there is anything interesting. I've delayed going to real plant nurseries, because there wasn't anything interesting. I thought, "I'll wait a little longer, then they'll have the fun stuff in." But when the weather gets into the 70's, it's hard not to give in to the plant shopping temptation. Today, LaLa (aka my mother in law) and I got together to check out some nurseries in her area. We had plans to check out 2 or 3 places. But after lunch with the kids, we only had time for one. But it was a good one! I was excited to find some things for the veggie garden, as well as Evan's garden. Earlier in the day when LaLa made a call to a different nursery, she asked about two plants she knew I wanted: Rudbeckia fulgida "City Garden" and Echinacea purpurea "Kim's Mop Head." The guy on the other end said they had "Kim's Knee High" and went on to make a comment about people finding things on the internet or in magazines that don't exist. Well, I'm pleased to say that I found "Kim's Mop Head Echinacea" at the one nursery we did visit! If that other place was more convenient, I could take the tab in to show him, with a haughty, "nanny nanny boo boo to you!"

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

What an attitude, "I haven't heard of it so it must not exist!"

I planted some seeds: broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, and lemon seeds from my tree, and I repotted the chayote and celeriac plants. Where is spring, durnit?!!

jennifer said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Margaret

http://howtomakecompost.info