Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year New Garden?

Well, I'm living up to my "I'm the worst garden blogger" title. Although, there's not a whole lot to do these days. We were blessed with a surplus of rain at the end of 2008 (surplus in December, not for the year.) I got some more mulch down in time for colder temps, but I've mostly holed up in the house and did the Christmas thing. My kids and I spent a few days with my parents this week. I decided to draw up a plan for the proposed veggie garden. We argued about the site a bit, and then I sat down to plan. And pretty soon, I was feeling overwhelmed. The whole idea of planning for different seasons of planting, organic pest control, and questions about sun, water, and fertilizer just made me feel like a fish out of water. So, I'm still kind of at a stand still with the veggie garden. I was thinking a potager style, rather than rows. And I'd like to incorporate my herbs in the bed, too. I still need to do research and measuring, and bed preparation. But planting for early veg is coming soon! What's a girl to do? Ideas anyone?

7 comments:

Sherrie said...

I think the most important thing with veggies, herbs, and cutting flowers is grow what you will use and enjoy. Salad veggies are nice and easy, and a good way to start; Italian herbs, tomatoes, green beans, eggplant, etc for Italian food; salsa ingredients for a Mexican garden... I can do this all day!

Amy said...

I say don't worry too much about the planning. Each "crop" only lasts a few months and then it's over, you can learn what works and adjust the following year.

My sister in law has had good success with the square foot gardening method. (Google it, it comes up.)

Pam said...

I think some planning would be ok. I've read recently that some plants do well with others, others not so much. Companion planting, is what it's called. I also just got an Organic Gardening Magazine, and they talk about crop rotating to get the best out of your crops---what helps boost up the soil, what helps with bugs, etc. Pretty neat. The biggest obstacle for me right now is preparing the bed. And that's because it's on a slope, and will need to be built up.

I'll look up the square foot gardening, too. I've heard of it, but I don't know much about it. Thanks.

Amy said...

Well yeah, there is companion planting and crop rotation and all that good stuff... but you sounded like you were getting hung up on the planning process, and it is overwhelming. I was just saying, start small and don't worry about it! Doesn't have to be perfect, etc etc.

I still can't believe how much you get done. While kid(s) are small, all I can handle is adding a couple of perennials every 6 months or so.

Pam said...

Well, I really enjoy being outside and doing the work. It's really good for me and helps with the whole grief thing. I'm a little crazy about getting things done, we'll just say. :)

As far as planning for the veggie garden...I'm mostly concerned about the prep, because it's going to be a big deal, and I feel like the clock is ticking. I would like for it to be nice looking as well as functional. Is that so wrong?

Amy said...

It's going to be great looking! You don't need to worry about that! I am sure of it.

But yeah, all that bed preparation and everything, lotta work.

jennifer said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Margaret

http://howtomakecompost.info