Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bloom Day



When I see Hyacinths I think of Renaissance madrigals. Particularly, an English madrigal about spring. Or maybe I'm thinking about madrigals, because one has been stuck in my head all day today. Well, Hyacinths certainly do make me think of spring.



I'm enjoying this one indoors, as it's a little early for them to arrive outside. Where I live, spring is just another couple of months away. You wouldn't know it by the cold weather we are currently experiencing. These little beauties would not be happy outside in the teens. Neither would I!



This is one of the plants I received from some pretty wonderful people who got me a subscription to 6 months of plants. This, of course, is the January plant. It's lovely, and the scent is captivating. I just have to make sure my 2 year old son doesn't poor salt on this one like he did the Cyclamen, my December plant. Sigh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are lovely, and sure to brighten a winter day. There are a few plants blooming outside. I even saw a single white crocus. Ahh.. Duncan is sure to be a chemist or other genre of scientist with all his experiments. Grandma

Sherrie said...

You've got crocuses? I've got snow, over 6 inches and still coming down hard and fast.

Pam said...

I've got some daffodils peeking out. They haven't bloomed, which is good, since the cold weather we've had lately would have frozen the poor little things.

I wish we'd get a little snow. We had a mini flurry the other day, and Duncan said, "Wow! Snow!"

Sherrie said...

We ended up with over 17 inches, apparently. I planted celery root seeds today, potted up my chayote squash plant, and read about growing mushrooms. I dreamed about gardening in the snow the other day!

Pam said...

Oh my! I've complained our weather lately, but that's nothing to 17" of snow! I'm ready for some warmer temps down here.

Anonymous said...

I have a white one I am waiting to bloom that I have been forcing or whatever you call it.(bought the bulb at home depot after Thanksgiving) it's just beginning to open and already smells wonderful. Lala