Sunday, November 9, 2008

Stuck!



This is one of Duncan's favorite words now. Whether he's stuck, or a toy is stuck, or sometimes it seems like no reason at all, he'll say, "Stuck!" He may climb up onto something, and need a little assistance to his goal. What he means to say is: "Help!" And occasionally, he will say help, but usually it's stuck.

It reminds me of Evan when he got stuck. If he couldn't figure something out, or if he couldn't reach his goal, he would say, "I caN'T DO IT!" The frustration evident in his voice. And, of course, Mommy or Daddy went to offer calm assistance or reassurance. There were a couple of times when Evan really did get stuck, however. The first time Evan was probably 15 months old. He was playing in what used to be the family room (it's now the play room.) Somehow, he wedged his little chunky leg under the TV armoire. He was stuck. I tried pulling, pushing, and a little shimmying. Didn't work. I wasn't sure what to do, and started to panic. I called Justin for ideas. I don't even remember what he said. I do remember having a brainwave...Vaseline! It's slick, and will get that leg outta there! But for once as a mom, I couldn't find the Vaseline. After some frantic searching I did find some lotion. I lubed him up, and his leg slid right out.




A little over a year later, Evan got stuck again. He was a toddler now (2+), and had a new baby brother. Evan was feeling like that new, noisy kid was getting an awful lot of Mommy's attention. And, of course, the best way to show his displeasure, was to act up while Mommy was breastfeeding Duncan. Then, I can't really do much about it. Naturally, I was nursing Duncan in the family room, when I heard Evan cry for help. I wasn't sure if Evan was being serious, or just pushing my buttons.

I said, "Come in here and Mommy can help you."

"I'm STUCK!" he said, clearly on the fast track to Panic Town. I ran in there, Duncan still attached, and saw Evan's leg stuck between the slats in the kitchen chair. I knew what to do this time. I put Duncan down on the floor, where he immediately began crying, and I took off running to get some lotion. Evan started to cry. "I'll be right back, honey!" I said. This time I had to run upstairs for supplies. I was back in a jiffy, and lubed Evan's leg up once again. He scooted out and continued to play as if nothing had happened. So, I scooped up the bawling Duncan, and we got back to business.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Evan was staying with us, he would sometimes say when I asked him to do something "I can't do it". He really liked Bob the Builder. I would say to him "what does Bob say, 'Can we do it? Yes we can'". Then we would do the task together.
Grandpa

sherrie said...

And then on successfully completing a task he'd throw his arms up in triumph and say, "I did it!" Sooo cute!