Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election Day Madness

So, I'm a few days late, I know. The day started with guitar throwing and a time out, as previously mentioned. Mid morning was looking up. Miranda was napping and Duncan was playing, so I decided to do some laundry. Duncan was annoyed that I didn't let him come downstairs with me, but I figured I'd make it up to him by some playtime outside. I got the laundry started, and with a full basket in hand, I climbed the stairs. I turned the knob. Locked. Crap. I didn't think he could reach that dead bolt, yet! I knocked. I begged. I pleaded. I could hear Duncan on the other side of the door for a little while. And then he went back to playing. I had a key to the back doors. I tried them, but the U-type locks were engaged. I didn't have a key to the front door, but tried it anyway. Duncan came and looked at me. I went to the neighbor who has a key for the front door. I think she was probably voting. The other neighbor's were home, but didn't have the key. I did use their phone to call Justin, though. While I waited for him to drive the 30 miles back home, I tried the doors again. I watched Duncan play through the window, then ended up going back into the basement to fold laundry. Finally, after what seemed like forever, but was only an hour, Justin arrived. And by some miracle, Miranda had slept through the whole ordeal. We got lunch, and took the kids to stand in line at the polls. It took about an hour. Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't vote early and stand in line for several hours!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Wow. I need to be more careful, Benjamin could totally lock me out of the house if he decided to. That must have been scary for you!!!!

sherrie said...

Oh man, how awful. I hope that it never happens again... is there a safe place you could stash a key downstairs?

Pam said...

Amy: The time that Evan locked me out, I was 9 months pregnant with Duncan! I thought for sure I was going to go into labor that day. This is the third time Duncan's locked me out. I will definitely have to either take my keys with me most of the time, or find a hiding place for a key to the front door!

Anonymous said...

I locked myself out one cold day in my not so warm pajamas. I've hidden a key ever since. Lala